Bryant Park, New York City
Taking up half a city block, and located behind the main branch of the New York Public Library in the middle of midtown Manhattan, Bryant Park was named in 1884 after William Cullen Bryant.
William Bryant, who passed away in 1878, was a poet and the editor the New York Evening Post.
Bryant Park was known was originally known as Potter’s Field. From around 1839 onwards, when the city built the Croton Reservoir on the site now occupied by the New York Public Library, the area was known as Reservoir Square.
Fun Fact #1: Although it was publicly owned for a long period of time, Bryant Park is now privately owned, albeit through a not-for-profit company.
Source: Bryant Park History on official website
Header image: Bryant Park, Saturday by Teri Tynes on Flickr